Music gives life to the fitness studio environment and makes members pumped to exercise. In this article, I will explore the best speakers for fitness studios and gyms based on research done by my team.
As a fitness studio or gym owner, often you must leave speakers playing music 24/7 in the facility. Whether you’re running a gym, Cross-fit studio, aerobic studio, or any kind of fitness studio – your studio has to play music to motivate members.
So, what are the best speakers for fitness studios and gyms? According to our research, the best speakers for fitness studios and gyms are as follows:
- Micca PB42X
- PRORECK Club 3000
- Mackie Thump12A
- Rockville RPG15
- LyxPro SPA-8
I researched each one individually below. To learn more about what each speaker has to offer and how you can select the best speakers for your fitness studio or gym, read on.
NOTE: I have written an article on music licensing for commercial businesses. The article has been written keeping dance studios in mind, but it equally applies to fitness studios and gyms. Once you have selected the perfect speaker for your fitness studio or gym, head on over and read about the need to license the music you play at your commercial premises.
How To Select The Best Speakers For Fitness Studios
The truth about speakers is that the technology has gotten so advanced that even budget speakers are suitable for use in a commercial setting. If you purchased any sound system on this list, you couldn’t go wrong. The standards are so high that even the most basic sound system will satisfy most gym members.
You can crank up your speakers and connect them to your laptop and stream songs directly from Spotify. This way, the music will play 24/7 at your gym, and you won’t have to play the songs manually. The main factors that should influence your decision are the weight of the speaker, the longevity, the price, and the user reviews.
Let’s analyze each of these factors in-depth.
Weight Of Speakers For Fitness Studios And Gyms
Gyms require large speakers that are extremely heavy to carry around.
Each one of the speakers you purchase could weigh as much as 30-50 pounds, making them hard to mount and carry around the gym. You can’t buy portable Bluetooth speakers for the gym as portable speakers can’t project the power to cover a full gym.
A gym owner’s responsibility is to purchase speakers that can broadcast music throughout the entire gym. This need to spread the sound over a large area is why the speakers we selected on this page are large and frequently used in music studios and live performances.
Durability Of Speakers For Fitness Studios And Gyms
The speaker might have to play music on a 24/7 basis, non-stop. The gym doesn’t close doors, and you need a speaker that can withstand continuous operation without presenting a health hazard. The speaker systems we reviewed on this page are all safe for commercial use.
Price Of Speakers For Fitness Studios And Gyms
Just because a speaker set is cheap doesn’t mean it’s terrible. You can buy some of the top-performing speakers for as little as $100-200, and these will be enough to sustain your gym music requirements. While sound systems can cost as much as $10,000, audio quality standards are very high now, and even affordable speakers come with quality sound.
Reviews Of Speakers For Fitness Studios And Gyms
The last thing you want to check is other people’s experiences with the speakers. People will also use the speakers for live performances, political events, concerts, music studios, etc. You can get insight from other people who used the speakers to determine if these will be suitable for your particular gym or fitness studio.
If you have a fixed budget of around $300, you can afford most of the speakers on our list. They should all be enough to suit the music requirements of your gym, and if you have a huge gym, you should consider buying the sets in pairs. This way, you can cover multiple areas in your gym and streamline them with a single control unit.
Top 5 Best Speakers For Fitness Studio And Gyms: My Top Choices
1) Micca PB42X Powered Bookshelf Speakers
The Micca PB42X (available on Amazon) is an affordable speaker set that can connect directly to your devices and give life to your gym by playing the music you need.
The Micca features a minimalistic black design with classic contours and circular design cues that won’t stand out in any gym interior, keeping it neutral.
The speaker set comes with a built-in amplifier, meaning no separate equipment is required, and you can connect the set directly to your devices.
Pros of the Micca PB42X:
- Minimalist Design. The Micca PB42X has a sophisticated all-black design that looks professional and blends in any gym interior. The speakers can be mounted on your gym walls or placed on a table. The front system has a magnetic grill that you can take off. The speakers look beautiful with a simplistic design, making them easy to operate.
- Powerful Woofer. The Micca PB42X is a high-powered speaker set that comes with precision driver technology on the output end, giving you a vast sound with accurate detail. Each speaker has a built-in carbon woofer that is fine-tuned for a deep low-end, providing you with that shaky bass you love to hear at the gym.
- Easy Connectivity. The Micca comes with two 15W amplifier slots, RCA slots, and a regular 3.5mm input jack that will allow you to connect it to your computer, TV, or mixing table. These ports make it universally easy to connect because you can connect directly without purchasing third party equipment and cables. Plug it in, and you’re ready to go.
- Affordable. The Micca PB42X is one of the lowest-priced professional audio systems, making it affordable for small fitness studios and gyms. If you want to save money but have a high-quality sound, get this. This speaker is one of the best-selling systems for commercial use.
Cons of the Micca PB42X:
- Very Lightweight. These speakers are very lightweight, meaning they could be kicked by accident and flipped over if you place them on the ground.
2) PRORECK Club 3000 12-Inch 3000 Watt DJ/Powered PA Speaker
The PRORECK Club 3000 (available on Amazon) is a high-end studio system designed for live performances and clubs, making it one of the most powerful speakers available.
If you want to spend more on audio and you care about the clarity, bass, and sound projection – this is the best option.
The PRORECK Club 3000 is excellent for parties and night-clubs where loudness matters, and the set projects crystal-clear sound from two subwoofers and dozens of speakers arranged in a line.
Each line of speakers has four sub-speakers, delivering a total of 3000 watts in your gym. Club 3000 is suitable for all fitness studios, gyms, home theaters, clubs, live performances, etc. It combines sound quality and performance in one.
Pros of the PRORECK Club 3000:
- Built for Large Gyms. The PRORECK Club 3000 is suitable for huge venues such as clubs and gyms. A single system can cover spaces up to 3000 square feet, and most gyms fall in that category. If you have a larger gym, you could purchase multiple sets and equip every angle of the gym. The system will connect to all your wireless devices and even instruments.
- 3000W power. The PRORECK Club 3000 is one of the loudest and most high-powered sound systems in the world. The full set consists of several rows with multiple speakers installed in each row, providing maximum sound projection in its immediate environment. There are two subwoofers: one active and one passive. Each speaker comes with four rows of speakers, and each one of them is lined with four speakers, making for a total of 16 individual speakers. The set also comes with stands, making it easy to move the speakers around the gym without mounting them. Inside there is a built-in 12″ amplifier saving you the need to purchase an amplifier.
- 100% Wireless. The PRORECK Club 3000 operates wirelessly by connecting directly to your device, making it easy to control from the palm of your hand. The speaker set has a powerful Bluetooth 2.0 connectivity that allows you to control it up to 66 feet away from the system. It can pair with iOS and Android devices, and it comes with a remote control that provides song switching, playing/pausing, rewinding, and more. The remote works up to 20 feet. Users also have the option to adjust the sound manually by pressing the buttons on the speakers.
- Local Playback. What happens if the WiFi gets cut off and your streaming service is down? The Club 3000 is excellent for local streaming, and it has every connectivity option under the sun. You can use USB cards, SD cards, or Bluetooth to stream songs locally on the system. There are also audio inputs (2 x XLR inputs) for microphones if you decide to address members at the gym, or you have an important announcement to make.
- Sound Clarity. The PRORECK Club 3000 projects a crystal clear and powerful sound due to MDF materials that reduce the resonance frequently found on low-quality speakers and projects a powerful studio sound. Two powerful subwoofers deliver strong bass, and eight tweeters bring about maximum clarity.
Cons Of PRORECK Club 3000:
- Complex. The PRORECK Club 3000 is for large gyms, and it might take hours to set up the connection and mount the hardware pieces. You might need a second person knowledgeable in audio to install this system at your gym.
- Heavy. To mount the speakers on the stand, you might need a second hand, and it’s also harder to ship this system due to the weight.
3) Mackie Thump12A – 1300W 12″ Powered Loudspeaker
The Mackie Thump12A (available on Amazon) delivers a mighty 1300W output. It features the newest in Thump audio technology – one of the leaders in innovative audio design. This speaker is a relatively mid-range option for gym owners who want to save money but still provide professional sound quality in their gyms.
The Mackie Thump12A is an upgrade to its predecessor, featuring new Dynamic Bass Response technology and a built-in amplifier. The bass response is top-notch and will shake the ground of any gym premise, motivating your members to push their workouts harder.
The Thump12A also features two-channel mixers, a built-in Vita preamp, and dual input jacks for your microphones.
Pros of the Mackie Thump12A:
- 1300W Powerful Sound. The Mackie Thump12A delivers power for large venues such as clubs, gyms, and fitness studios. This system is suitable for live performances, meaning it can serve hundreds of people at once. The 1300W speakers have a built-in amplifier that features Dynamic Bass Response technology, which enhances bass. If you enjoy bass-heavy music that pounds bass into the chest of your members, this is what you should get.
- 6 Speaker Modes. The Mackie Thump12A is a technologically-loaded speaker system with six playing modes available to users. If you want a more even and pleasant sound in your gym, you can adjust this with the push of a button. If you want a powerful bass that makes the whole room vibrate, you can switch to that mode with the push of a button. It’s also fast and easy to integrate with your devices.
- Power Correction. This innovation is a safety feature for gyms as the sound system is always a hazard in environments with frequent movement. Many times large speakers struggle with power, and the Power Correction feature on the Thump12A evens out the power. It delivers consistent performance throughout the entire day. This feature is what you need to play music at your establishment throughout the night when you’re not present. The input cords are universal, and you can use them on all continents with all power supplies.
- Built-In Mixers. How many sound systems come with mixers? The Mackie Thump12A comes with two built-in mixers for each one of the speakers, and the speakers feature Vita preamps for full volume control and power management. There are input channels for the microphones, instruments, and other power lines. You can also connect it to 3rd party preamps, and Bluetooth connectivity enables secure connectivity with your iOS/Android device and Spotify for streaming.
Cons Of Mackie Thump12A:
- Powerful Bass. This speaker set is very bass-oriented and might not be suitable for all gyms.
4) Rockville RPG15 15″ Professional Powered Active 1,000 Watt 2-Way DJ PA Speaker
The Rockville RPG15 (available on Amazon) is a very powerful 1000W speaker set that delivers exceptional sound quality, wattage, and technology at an approachable price point.
The unit packs 1000W in each speaker and delivers crystal clear sound at all levels from the lows to the highs. The design is optimized for efficiency and features 15″ woofers for maximum power output.
Pros of the Rockville RPG15:
- 1000W sound. The Rockville is part of the company’s best-selling RPG series that outperforms speakers with more wattage on principle. This speaker set can easily match up with other speakers that have 1500-2000W in terms of output. If you care for loudness and want speakers that can project a powerful sound, the Rockville RPG15 is a safe bet.
- It is excellent for fitness studios. The Rockville RPG15 was optimized for the studio environments, enabling music producers to hear music in high clarity. The sound is “evened out,” meaning it’s not too heavy on the low-end bass, nor does it emphasize the high-end vocals. Listeners get a very clear and even-keeled sound. The speaker set has a built-in 15″ woofer for powerful bass and a 3″ voice coil that delivers exceptionally clear vocals. The titanium compressor driver produced in Japan and the integrated amp gives you enough power to feel the music throughout the entire gym. The amps have clipping LEDs that show you how powerful the playback is.
- They have mounting brackets. The Rockville RPG15 is excellent for clubs and gyms, where you want to mount the speakers high to project sound throughout the entire room. The mounting brackets take minutes to assemble, and they can support the weight of the speakers, making it easy for you to move them around the studio.
Cons Of Rockville RPG15:
- Bulky Design. This speaker is hefty, and you might need a second person to mount the PRG15 on the brackets.
5) LyxPro SPA-8 Compact 8″ Portable PA System
The LyxPro SPA-8 (available on Amazon) is a small and budget design that features 100W, clear sound quality, portability, and many connection ports at an affordable price tag.
This speaker is more suitable for fitness studios that want quiet background music, which doesn’t impact the performance of the members, at a meager price.
Pros of the LyxPro SPA-8:
- 100W & Woofer System. The LyxPro SPA-8 features a built-in amplifier with a woofer system split in 70W and 30W parts that deliver a relatively loud and clear sound. This wattage is excellent for small gyms or fitness studios that don’t require powerful sound projection.
- Easy Setup. The LyxPro SPA-8 has all of the necessary equipment, such as amplifiers built-in the speaker system, meaning you only have to connect it to your devices. The system features Bluetooth technology that connects to all iOS and Android devices, making it easy to stream music from your library or online services such as Spotify.
- Portable. The LyxPro SPA-8 is a very tiny and portable package, weighing only 14 lbs. This size is almost 2-3x less than the average large speaker that might require you to bring a second person for the mounting process. You could quickly bring it outdoors if you’re holding classes in a scenic environment, and you want music to enhance the mood.
- Multiple Inputs. The LyxPro SPA-8 has an XLR input for microphones, built-in EQ control, SD card slot for streaming music directly from your SD card, and standard 3.5mm headphone inputs.
- Flexible. The XLR cable input allows you to link the LyxPro to another speaker from the series or a 3rd party speaker. You can also connect it to a microphone or an instrument.
Cons of the LyxPro SPA-8
- Only For Small Gyms. The LyxPro SPA-8 only has 100W, which means it’s relatively quiet and might not be suitable for large gyms.
In conclusion, first, identify the requirements for your fitness studio and gym. Then determine your budget and choose the right speakers. According to my research, the top 5 recommended speakers for fitness studios and gyms are:
- Micca PB42X
- PRORECK Club 3000
- Mackie Thump12A
- Rockville RPG15
- LyxPro SPA-8
I write abouT establishing and Growing your boutique Fitness/Wellness Business. I promise no spam, i hate spam.
Enter Your Email To Receive Growth Tips For Your Boutique Studio. I Also Send Out Occasional Discounts And Freebies
About the author
Naz Ahm is the founder of StudioGrowth and has spent a decade growing start-ups and venture-backed companies. He writes about sales, marketing, and growth, especially in the fitness and wellness industry.
Naz has an MBA from IESE Business School and started his journey in the wellness industry when he set-up an on-demand wellness business. Naz currently resides in London, U.K.